Injuries to Children
Injuries to children are completely devastating to the entire family. Severe injuries to children not only affect the emotional and mental well being of the child, siblings, and parents, but also takes a toll on the finances of the family. It is agonizing and traumatic for the injured child. Generally, in such cases of minor accidents, an injured child can bounce back to normal life eventually. However, if they go through some severe trauma or pain, it leaves a lasting effect on their lives.
Children younger than 7 years old are generally oblivious to the risks of danger in many situations, which is why, under Pennsylvania law, they cannot be found negligent for their actions. Children older than 7, while not held to the same standards as adults, can be found negligent. While a parent has 2 years from the date of an injury to file a claim, children have until age 20 to file for themselves. If you and your child are undergoing such circumstances, then all you have to do is to hire a Washington, PA accident lawyer who will secure their rights and get the justice they deserve. To hire an experienced lawyer, get in touch with Horowitz & Logue.
Unintentional injuries or accidents cause fatality every year. Sadly, around 10,000 children lose their lives due to accidents every year. The following are types of common activities that can cause injuries from minor to severe, and even death:
- It is not uncommon for children to go to the park and play on playground equipment without adult supervision. Playground equipment can be dangerous if not used properly leading to falls and injuries.
- Necklaces or whistles worn around the neck can cause serious accidents too. If they are caught in something, then they can cause a cut, strangulation, and even death.
- Many accidents happen on the road. Children riding bicycles, skateboards, and scooters are at risk of being struck by a vehicle. It is especially dangerous if they are not wearing protective gear such as a helmet.
- If your child goes swimming, then you need to be extra careful. Generally, many children face accidents like drowning due to the lack of lifeguards and water protective gears. You also have to keep in mind that the gears can minimize the risks but can’t ensure 100% safety. Drowning is silent which is why your eyes should be on your child the entire time they are in or near water.
- Owing to the curious nature of children, they are often exposed to the risk of burns. Hot utensils on the stove or burning candles can cause serious burns and injuries if parents are not careful.
- Many children love to climb whether it’s on playground equipment or on furniture at home, but unfortunately this leads to many falls and injuries.
- Unintentional poisoning is another common cause of child fatality in the USA. Cleaners or medicines should be kept out of reach as they can cause a serious loss for you and your family.
If your child has been injured due to an unfortunate accident, trust the experience of a Washington, PA injury lawyer who can place the claim to get the compensation your family deserves. To discuss your case with your local Washington, PA accident lawyer, call Horowitz & Logue at (724) 288-9750.